BEFORE THE GATHERING – PREPARE
- If your child likes to color and do activity sheets, print off the Bible story coloring pages and activity sheet.
- Have your child find 1 Samuel 17. Remind them that we have been studying books in the “History” division of the Old Testament. Remind your child(ren) that the Book of 1 Samuel is the fourth book of Old Testament History. See how many books from the Old Testament History your child can name. (Joshua, Judges, Ruth, 1 and 2 Samuel, 1 and 2 Kings, 1 and 2 Chronicles, Ezra, Nehemiah, and Esther)
During the gathering – worship & Learn Together
AFTER THE GATHERING
WATCH TOGETHER – PreS/K
- What people were present? (Goliath, the Philistines, the Israelites, King Saul, David, David’s brothers; 1 Samuel 17:1-2,13,17)
- Why were King Saul and his army afraid? (Goliath taunted them every day for 40 days)
- What did Jesse ask David to do? (Take food to his brothers and see how they were doing)
- Why was David not afraid of Goliath? (He knew that God was on his side)
- Why did Saul think David couldn’t fight Goliath? (He was too young)
- How did God prepare David to fight Goliath? (When he was a shepherd God gave him power to fight off animals that tried to hurt the sheep)
- How did David fight with Goliath a) with his fists b) with Saul’s armor and weapons or c) with the Lord’s power?
- Whom would you have expected to win the battle?
What surprised you about this story?
Name something that can be an enemy in our lives?
How will God help us fight our enemies? (With His power living inside us)
Christ Connection: David was not a big or strong warrior, but he trusted God. God gave David power. When God sent His Son to earth, Jesus did not look like a strong warrior either. But by dying on the cross and coming back to life, Jesus showed His power to save sinners.
Big Giant.. Bigger God
Supplies: roll of paper 9’ long, or multiple sheets of paper, marker or crayons
Download the activity sheet to create a 9 ft Goliath
Connect to the Bible Story: Remind the children that God is bigger than any giant we may face. Jesus conquered sin and death.
Finding Stones Hunt and Rock Painting
Supplies: rocks, paint
Take your child(ren) for a walk and ask your child to find 5 stones/rocks. Paint patterns or words on them with paint. For further activity, hide them around the house or yard and take turns in finding them.
Connect to the Bible Story: David found five stones, but it only took one stone to defeat the huge giant because God was with David. Remind your child(ren) that God can use them no matter how small they are.
MEMORIZE TOgethER: PSALM 19:1-4a & 7-13
Psalm 19:1-4a, 7-8
Psalm 19:1-4a, 7-9
Lord God, thank You for Your Word. We praise You for giving David victory over Goliath and saving the Israelites from their enemies. Help us to rely on Your power instead of our own. We love You! Amen.
Listen to the Grace Kids PreS/K Spotify playlist
Listen to the Grace Kids spotify playlist